• Architects Registration Board
United Kingdom
  • Architecture

Regulatory or professional bodies

Primary regulator

Regulatory authority
Architects Registration Board

8 Weymouth Street

Email address
Phone number
+44 (0)20 7580 5861


Regulation summary

Architects have a conceptual and integrative role in the design of buildings and places, working in cooperation with communities, clients and other professionals. The defining skill of the architect is design - the ability to conceive of, and elaborate on, physical artefacts that meet human needs and evoke aesthetic response.
Architects are regulated by the Architects Registration Board under the Architects Act 1997. The ARB is an independent statutory regulator and regulates throughout the UK.

Regulation type


Reserved activities

None - restrictions apply to use of title only

Protected titles

See the link below for more information about professional titles and letters.

More about regulated activities and titles

Qualifications and experience

New professionals

Routes to qualification

Currently, if you are studying in the four nations which constitute the UK, you will:

- take a three-year full time first degree in architecture (often referred to as ‘Part 1’)
- followed by a year of appropriate professional experience
- then a two-year full time second degree or masters in architecture (often referred to as ‘Part 2’)
- followed by a further year of professional experience
- then the Professional Practice Examination – (often referred to as 'Part 3')

You will need to have all three qualifications in order to apply for registration together with a minimum of 24 months appropriate practical experience which complies with ARB's requirements.

ARB has recently approved a new regulatory framework, which is in the process of being introduced. For information on what this will mean, and the likely implementation times, please see:

More about qualification

Professionals from outside the UK

Recognition for professionals outside the UK
All - there are routes to recognition for professionals from all countries
Summary of routes

If you hold overseas qualifications obtained outside the EU or hold a non-recognised UK qualification you may need to pass ARB’s Examination for Equivalence to Prescribed Qualifications (also known as the ‘Prescribed Examination’) to progress towards registering as an architect in the UK. Under this route, once you have satisfied Part 1 and Part 2 requirements, either by obtaining qualifications or by passing the Prescribed Examination, you will then need to obtain a UK Part 3 qualification from a UK school of architecture.
If you obtained your qualifications in the EU you may be able to make use of the current unilateral registration arrangements that the ARB Board has put in place.
If you obtained your qualifications in Ireland, ARB and the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI) have signed a memorandum of understanding which became effective on 1 January 2021. Both parties have agreed to recognise appropriate UK and Irish qualifications for the purposes of registration until any new UK-EU mutual recognition agreement is implemented.
We have developed new international routes to registration. If you hold qualifications which fall within scope of our US, Australian or New Zealand Mutual Recognition Agreements you may be able to use these routes to join the register.
If you hold EEA EFTA qualifications, please contact ARB directly at for information.

More about recognition for professionals outside the UK


Registration requirements

After qualification, you should register with the Architects Registration Board. An application must be made and a fee is payable to ARB for joining the UK Architects Register. Refer to ARB's website for further information and update to date fee details.


Title of relevant act or charter

The Architects Act 1997

Website link to legislation

Licence Finder

You may need licences and permits to carry out certain activities in the UK. These are called authorisations. Use the licence finder to find what you need.