Registered Gas Engineer

  • Health and Safety Executive
  • England
  • Scotland
  • Wales
  • Other

Regulatory or professional bodies

Primary regulator

Regulatory authority
Health and Safety Executive

Redgrave Court
Merton Road
Bootle, Merseyside
L20 7HS

Phone number
+44 (0)3000 031 747


Regulation summary

Registering with Gas Safe Register is a legal requirement for anyone carrying out gas work in the United Kingdom. Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers in the UK, Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey. Gas engineers work on domestic and commercial gas appliances and installations.

Regulation type


Reserved activities

Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers in the UK, Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey. To work on domestic and commercial gas appliances and installations you must be on the gas safe register. The register exists to protect the public from unsafe gas work.

More about regulated activities and titles

Qualifications and experience

New professionals

Routes to qualification

In the UK, the law requires that all businesses undertaking domestic and commercial gas work must be registered with Gas Safe Register.

Evidence of gas safety competence is awarded through the process of proving to a recognised awarding body that you have the appropriate level of knowledge, understanding, experience and practical skills to undertake gas work safely.

A list of suitable evidence of gas safety competence recognised by Gas Safe Register can be found at

Professionals from other UK nations

Routes to recognition within the UK

Gas Safe Register requirements for registration apply throughout the UK, including Northern Ireland.

Professionals from outside the UK

Recognition for professionals outside the UK
All - there are routes to recognition for professionals from all countries
Summary of routes

As a prerequisite of gaining registration, Gas Safe Register will require you to hold current Certificates of Gas Safety Competence issues through a BS EN 17024 Accredited Certification Body, relevant to the areas of gas work you wish the be registered for (

In order to access accredited gas safety assessments you will need to provide evidence of your gas qualifications and experience to the Certification Body and Assessment centre.

More about recognition for professionals outside the UK


Registration requirements

The Gas Safe Register (not HSE) provides information on the requirements for registration as a gas engineer.


Title of relevant act or charter

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Licence Finder

You may need licences and permits to carry out certain activities in the UK. These are called authorisations. Use the licence finder to find what you need.